How do you sort data in Excel but keep rows together?
Using the sort Function
Click on Data and eventually sort. This will make sure that the rows are intact but the columns have changed. After this, the sort warning dialog will pop up. You are supposed to keep the Expand the selection option and after that click on sort.
How do you sort without messing up rows?
- Click into any cell in the COLUMN you want to sort by within your list. (DO NOT highlight that column as this will sort that column only and leave the rest of your data where it is.)
- Click on the DATA tab.
- Click on either the Sort Ascending or Sort Descending. button.
How do you lock cells in Excel so they don’t move when you sort?
To freeze rows:
- Select the row below the row(s) you want to freeze. In our example, we want to freeze rows 1 and 2, so we’ll select row 3. …
- Click the View tab on the Ribbon.
- Select the Freeze Panes command, then choose Freeze Panes from the drop-down menu. …
- The rows will be frozen in place, as indicated by the gray line.
How do you sort alphabetically in Excel and keep columns together?
You will find an option Sort in the Sort & Filter section under the Data tab. Select a column which to sort and click Sort. Again, the selection of one column leads us to the Sort Warning dialog box (if you don’t want this select the entire data). Select the Expand the selection and click Sort.
How do I keep rows together in Google Sheets?
To pin data in the same place and see it when you scroll, you can freeze rows or columns.
- On your computer, open a spreadsheet in Google Sheets.
- Select a row or column you want to freeze or unfreeze.
- At the top, click View. Freeze.
- Select how many rows or columns to freeze.
How do I sort columns without messing up rows in Google Sheets?
In the Sort Warning window, select Expand the selection, and click Sort. Along with Column G, the rest of the columns will also be sorted, so all rows are kept together. NOTE: When you’re working with a table or filtered range, all rows are kept together automatically, and there is no need to expand the selection.
How do I lock rows in Google sheets for sorting?
The following are steps for freezing rows or columns in Google Sheets:
- Highlight the row(s) or column(s) you would like to freeze. …
- Select View from the menu items.
- To choose the number of rows or columns you wish to freeze, hover over Freeze rows or Freeze columns and select accordingly from the drop-down list.
How do I lock rows in Excel?
How to freeze the top row in Excel
- Scroll your spreadsheet until the row you want to lock in place is the first row visible under the row of letters.
- In the menu, click “View.”
- In the ribbon, click “Freeze Panes” and then click “Freeze Top Row.”
- Select the row below the set of rows you want to freeze.
How do I lock filtered rows in Excel?
Select the cells you want to lock. On the Home tab, in the Alignment group, click the small arrow to open the Format Cells popup window. On the Protection tab, select the Locked check box, and then click OK to close the popup.