How long does it take to become a white water rafting guide?
Between commercial outfitter schools, the main difference is in the quality and length of the school. It’s not possible to become a “qualified raft guide” in 6 days or even 2 weeks. We believe it takes a minimum of 6 long days spent on and off the water for students to learn and get comfortable with the very basics.
How much does a whitewater rafting guide make?
Find out what the average Rafting Guide salary is
Entry-level positions start at $37,304 per year, while most experienced workers make up to $283,969 per year. $46,761 a year is how much per hour?
Is being a rafting guide hard?
Learning to be a raft guide is hard, but actually being a raft guide is harder. It’s not just the obvious skills that make the difference between a mediocre guide and a great one.
How do raft guides get paid?
Most whitewater rafting guides don’t make a salary the same way that you do in many other professions. … However, most rafting guides get paid around $30 per trip from the tour organizer and they can do up to two trips per day.
What do I need to become a raft guide?
All River Guides Must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have current 1st Aid and CPR cards.
- Be physically fit.
- Be available to work a minimum of two summer seasons.
- Attend our annual training clinic and pre-train on every river.
- Live in Buena Vista, CO for the summer.
How do you become a guide to the Grand Canyon?
Freelance requirements are:
- must have work on the river in 2021.
- must have all your medical requirements and other guide certifications fulfilled as specified by Grand Canyon National Park, OR,
- you must be a licensed guide on another river, actively working towards becoming a guide in Grand Canyon.
How much should I tip rafting guide?
The amount you tip is really up to you. Raft guiding is considered a service industry and many people believe anyone in the service industry, like restaurants, hotel employees, and hairdressers, should get between 10 % to 20% of the total cost of the service.
How do I start a rafting business?
Start a whitewater rafting business by following these 10 steps:
- STEP 1: Plan your business. …
- STEP 2: Form a legal entity. …
- STEP 3: Register for taxes. …
- STEP 4: Open a business bank account & credit card. …
- STEP 5: Set up business accounting. …
- STEP 6: Obtain necessary permits and licenses. …
- STEP 7: Get business insurance.
How much do river guides make in Colorado?
How much does a River Guide make in Colorado? While ZipRecruiter is seeing salaries as high as $60,126 and as low as $13,623, the majority of River Guide salaries currently range between $20,198 (25th percentile) to $42,276 (75th percentile) with top earners (90th percentile) making $50,262 annually in Colorado.
How do I become a white water rafting guide in West Virginia?
Trainees must be over the age of 18, certified in First Aid and CPR, working to become a qualified commercial whitewater raft guide for their potential rafting company employer. The minimum standards are set by the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources.
How do I get better at rafting?
10 Whitewater Rafting Safety Tips
- Choose a licensed and professional rafting outfitter. …
- Always wear a life jacket, or personal flotation device (PFD). …
- Be safe and comfortable. …
- Make sure you have the right outerwear for the day. …
- Hold the paddle properly. …
- Stay in the boat! …
- Know the proper swimming techniques.